Friday, October 21, 2011

Tucson

I'm using this post to respond to a reader's question. I explained what I would miss about New Hampshire; what am I looking forward to in Tucson? This has the potential to be a much longer post, but I'll try to keep it to the highlights.

Let's start with the weather. I know people think it gets too hot in Arizona- it does. But I'll take three months of too hot over nine months of New England's wet, gray, cold, snowy, icy, gray, wet fall/winter/spring. And it really does make a difference that the heat in Tucson is dry. 80 degree humidity in New Hampshire is about as oppressive as 110 in Arizona.

My house. For less than the rent on my crappy one-bedroom apartment in New Hampshire, I'll be paying a mortgage on 3 bedrooms and a yard. I can get a dog. I can have dinner parties. I'll have a washer and dryer.

The writing community. Out here, I've scraped together some writers I've met online for virtual writers groups that fall apart in about three months. In Tucson, I have actual writer friends who come over for workshopping and pizza. I can attend the Pima Writer's Workshop in the summer.

And, saving the best for last, there are my Tucson buddies. We are going to have so much fun. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment