Thursday, October 13, 2011

History

I’ve been writing since I was a kid. I was “published” for the first time in the local paper with a Thanksgiving story that gave away my mother’s secret stuffing recipe- she used the store bought Stove Top brand. I’ve been writing about my family ever since- I’ve just learned to call it fiction!

I was president of the litmag in high school, took poetry classes all through college. It wasn’t until I took a class on memoir the semester before I graduated that I learned about creative nonfiction and started writing short stories that blend details from real life with those from my imagination.

I would say I was raised by a couple of storytellers, though I’m quite sure neither of them would call themselves that. My parents don’t write, but they talk, and both of their children grew up to be writers. My father tells stories at barbeques, to a captive audience, holding a bottle of Sam Adams. My mother tells stories at the kitchen table, one-on-one. They talk; I write.

My novels are coming of age, family sagas. I'll be posting excerpts and updates on my journey toward publication. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading your stories! Love the yarn about the stove top stuffing! That's something Emily would do to me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete