Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chick Lit vs Women's Lit

Speaking of confusing gender-related genre tags, what is the difference between chick lit and women's fiction? I mean, I think we can all identify the extremes: if the book jacket is hot pink, has a picture of a high heel, etc- that's chick lit. And though it gets harshly judged at times for being heavier into entertainment than personal growth, this genre has nothing to be ashamed about. This is the "chick flick" of literature. It gave us Bridget Jone's Diary and The Devil Wears Prada. And although these were certainly fun, sexy romps, I remember a good dose of personal development thrown in.

What stumps me, though, are books like The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Love Walked In, The Dive From Clauson's Pier. I enjoyed all of these and they've been referred to as chick lit but I disagree- not because they're better, but because they're more serious in tone. Chick lit is a romantic comedy where women's fiction is a drama, or dramedy.

In my opinion. And maybe genre tags shouldn't matter, but with so much reading material out there, I must admit I like having some guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment