Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Book Review: Olive Kitteridge

 

I have read and enjoyed other books by Elizabeth Strout so I know she's a good writer, but this was not for me. It was a collection of short stories that all take place in the same small town and are connected by a mostly unlikable woman named Olive Kitteridge. Sometimes Olive is the main character, but often she is so tangential as to be mentioned as an aside in someone else's story. 

I found it hard to get invested in this book as each story seemed disconnected from the whole and there wasn't really a single character I could connect with or root for.

We see Olive at different stages of her life and the most I was able to feel for her was pity. I will read other books by this author, but not this MC.

No comments:

Post a Comment