Saturday, August 3, 2024

Author Interview: Diane Barnes

I used to do author interviews for another website. My favorite part was how differently they would answer the same kinds of questions. I find it so reassuring to know that there's not one right way to be a writer. To that end, here's my recent interview with Diane Barnes.

Talk a bit about your most recent book. What is it about? 

My latest novel is ALL WE COULD STILL HAVE. It’s about a couple who desperately wants children and the impact on their marriage when they have trouble conceiving.  It’s a hopeful novel about learning to be happy when you can’t have what you most desire.

What kind of writer are you? 

I’m definitely a pantser. I don’t use an outline, and I sometimes don’t write in order. Instead, I write scenes as they come to me, and then I brainstorm on what had to happen to lead up to that scene.

Do you edit as you go or force out a whole first draft first?

So many people advise not to, but I edit as I go. Every book I tell myself I’ll crank out a first draft and then go back and edit, but so far, that has never happened.

At what stage of writing do you find outside feedback helpful?

For me, it’s never too early for feedback. As soon as I finish a chapter, I bring it to my writing group for critique. They are so encouraging, even when they point out things that they don’t think are working. I carefully consider all feedback, paying closer attention to things that more than one person have commented on. Then I decide if I want to revise and how. Getting feedback is really important, but it’s also tricky. You need to work with people who you know will be honest and who won’t just say it’s great. They need to point out what’s not working but do it in a gentle way that doesn’t completely discourage you.

What do you do when you get stuck in the writing process?

I’ll skip ahead to another scene that I want to write. If I’m out of scenes, I’ll go for a walk and listen to music and really focus on the lyrics. Sometimes lyrics give me great ideas. I also read a ton when I’m a stuck. Getting lost in someone else’s story takes me out of mine and makes it easier to come up with new ideas when I return to writing.

Have you always written?

I fell in love with writing in second grade. We returned from recess one afternoon and there was a trail of giant paper footsteps going from the door to the window. The footsteps were on the floor and also on top of some of the desks. We had to write a story about what happened and who could have left them. I filled a composition book writing my story and had to ask for another. I filled that one too and still hadn’t finished my story. When I left for the day, my teacher gave me a stack of those composition books to take home, and I have been writing ever since. In college, I studied print journalism and that’s really where I learned how to write. My first job after college was at a newspaper and since then I have always worked as an editor or writer.

What is the biggest challenge of being published? What's the best part?

For me, the biggest challenge as an author is the self-promotion/marketing I’m expected to do. I have a hard time promoting my novels. It doesn’t feel natural. It’s much easier for me to talk about other authors’ books. I’m really trying to be better about marketing because it’s really important.

Definitely the best part of being published is emails from readers telling me how much they enjoy my books.

What are you working on next?
My next novel is THE MULLIGAN CURSE. It’s scheduled to be published by Lake Union in February 2025. It’s my take on It’s a Wonderful Life.  The story is about a fifty-four-year-old woman whose wish to be twenty-four and do it all again comes true. My twist on this story is that she’s twenty-four in the same year she was fifty-four so she’s what the world would have been like without her for the past 30 years. It’s available for pre-order now on Amazon and you can always request it from your local bookstore.

See, I’m getting better at Marketing!

 Please follow Diane:

dianembarnes.com
Twitter: @dianebarnes777
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/diane.barnes.735

No comments:

Post a Comment