Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New Books!

I never do this. I like to buy my books used on Amazon.com for a penny.  So how did I end up paying full price for TWO new novels?

I tagged along with my parents for a week in the mountains and I wanted something to read. I specifically wanted Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize winning A Visit From The Goon Squad - partially because of the critical acclaim, but mostly because my publisher handles her British publication.

In seconds, I could have downloaded the book to my computer. But, call me old fashioned, if I'm spending ten bucks on a book, I want to be able to put it on my bookshelf. If it's available in print, I want it in print.

So I went to Bookworms in Edwards, CO. I had a lovely lunch of cauliflower cheddar soup and the Eat, Pray, Love salad with pears. And then I found the book along with another I've been wanting for awhile - Steve Martin's An Object of Beauty.

I held the books and read the opening page of each. This didn't help: they're both good...

So I splurged. I'm starting with Egan's novel. I hope to have a review up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment