Monday, July 27, 2015

I was right

Not long ago, I had a three book deal with a traditional publisher. Even though sales for the first book were great, they didn't do anything to promote my second book and I decided to get out of my contract with them.

In the months since I launched A Long Thaw on my own, I've wondered whether that was the smartest way to go. I wanted control over how my work was marketed but I didn't really know if I could do it by myself. Here's what I said back in March
"Getting that agent to help negotiate the contract may have been the best $100 I ever spent. Instead of allowing my publisher to hold the rights for my book for ten years, I get them back in two. This means I can rerelease A Long Thaw, the book my publisher didn't promote, and see if I can do a better job."
Well the reports are in: I've already sold more books in the past four months than the publisher managed to sell in an entire year. I guess I'm done wondering if I made the right decision.

If you'd like to take a look at my debut, Monsoon Season, it's being sold by Hachette. My next book, Finding Charlie, will be out in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment