Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Stop supporting sweat shops

My most recent blog post about this got the least amount of traffic. I think it's a subject that makes people uncomfortable. They don't want to think about it.

So let's talk about it again.

The reason sweat shops exist is that corporations are greedy and the reason they get away with it is that consumers are greedy.

We're also isolated and aren't forced to think about where our cheap stuff comes from. If it all came with a warning label with a picture of the exploitation it supported, we might not buy it.

I'm not interested in making people feel hopelessly guilty. Let's share some solutions. Buying sweatshop free means paying the real cost of things. In my last blog, I explained how to search for US made products on Amazon and wait for them to go on sale.

Here's another: I just spent $50 on boring underwear at American Apparel because their products are made in America, sweat shop free.

I've also found etsy.com is helpful, especially with gift buying. Their site will allow you to search for American artisans in your state.

If anyone has other tips to share, I'm always on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment