Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diversity in publishing



Read:
If you follow this blog closely, (as you should) you already know that I just finished Mary Vensel White's debut novel The Qualities of Wood. I started reading this when it was posted on Authonomy and I was bummed when it was taken down before I could finish. So I was happy to read it when it was published by HarperCollins and I'm thrilled to have my blurb added to her website.


Reading:
I just got my early copy of Karen McQuestion's new novel, The Long Way Home. The signed paperback was in my mailbox this morning! I loved her first book, A Scattered Life, which was self-published before being re-released through Amazon Publishing.  I reviewed it a few months ago and I'll be reviewing this one when I finish. It gets officially released May 1st.



To Read:
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Patrick Blackburn's Cupid Missed, which comes out in hard copy and e-book format in May. It's the story of a break up, told from a man's perspective. The description on the website makes me want to read it. He's going the indy route for now, but he just got an agent, so I bet he gets picked up by a big publisher soon.


These three writers have all taken non-traditional paths in the publishing journey. At a time when people are talking about the demise of the written word, it's exciting. Publishing isn't dying; it's evolving.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Thanks for giving THE LONG WAY HOME a mention. I really hope you like it.

    Just so you know, I just bought THE QUALITIES OF WOOD on your recommendation. I hadn't even heard of it before I read your review, which illustrates my widely held belief that book bloggers are a gift to authors and readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent! and i agree. i just started THE LONG WAY HOME - just 50 pages in- and i can already tell i'm in the hands of a writer who knows what she's doing. the characters feel like real people.

    ReplyDelete