Sunday, December 24, 2023

Book Review: Vigil Harbor

 


The acknowledgement at the end of this book makes a reference to how difficult it was to write, that it took years and many different versions. It sort of confirmed my experience reading the book. The climax seemed to come too early and the last half of the book was the multiple narrators rehashing their perspective of the ending when there were no longer any stakes.

That said, Julia Glass could not write a bad book if she fell asleep on her keyboard. Vigil Harbor was not my favorite thing she's written,  (for that, check out The Whole World Over) but I still enjoyed it. For character driven stories about people who feel real, there's nobody who does it better.

I was hesitant to pick this up because the description mentions a supernatural element I wasn't sure I could get on board for. Thankfully the author never takes a hard line on this and you're free to dismiss it as a crazy fantasy, as I did.

The not-so-distant future world where this story is set is on the edge of climate apocalypse and, unfortunately, comes  across as thoroughly believable.    

No comments:

Post a Comment