Tuesday, November 17, 2020

American-made Holidays

Holiday shopping can be incredibly difficult. I add to the challenge by forcing myself to buy American. Years ago, an ABC News report said that if each of us spent just $64 on American made goods during our holiday shopping, the result would be 200,000 new jobs. I think that's a challenge worth taking and this is my seventh year of doing my part.

I think Christmas is only for those who believe in Santa. As my friends kids get older, I've relaxed this rule a bit. As far as I know, they're still believers.

When I'm looking for US made kids clothes, I usually go straight to etsy.com.

For kids who are constantly outgrowing their wardrobes, you can afford several outfits of likenew brand name items at ThredUp.com.

I've always had good luck with the American made section of FatBrainToys, which has reasonably priced, educational toys and games.

I always ask for readers to send me their suggestions and finally got this guide to US made toys & games that allows you to search the list by age range.

For several years now, my family has decided to donate to charity in lieu of gifts to each other. We have given to UnicefHeiferCharityWater, and OxFam to name a few. Before selecting a charity, I always check them out at Charitynavigator.org to find out how much of donations go to services and how much they pay the CEO. (I can't stand charity CEOs who make millions.) I recommend checking out your charity here before donating. You can even look at their list of top-rated charities if you need ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment