Friday, February 23, 2018

Book Review: The Promise Between Us

I first heard about this book when I attended a LitChat on twitter in January. Author Barbara Claypole White spoke about her inspiration for this novel: Can you be a good mother if you abandoned your baby?

The novel rotates between five narrators and tells a story about a young girl with OCD and the complicated family of flawed adults who put aside what they want in order to do what's best for her.

I love flawed characters and I love stories told with alternating POV. Claypole White's novel tackles the stigma that still surrounds mental illness, which (along with access to health insurance) can be one of the obstacles to getting treatment.

Incidentally, I liked how this book included the character's financial concerns. It seems like so many authors gloss over this issue, which makes for totally unrelatable stories, in my opinion.

As a writer of women's fiction, I appreciated her definition:
"Technically I write WF, yes, because I'm writing emotionally layered stories. . . WF is about the protag's emotional journey. Some argue protag has to be female: I disagree."
I'll be participating in my own LitChat on twitter February 26th when I will be interviewed by author Mary Vensel White.
is about the protag's emotional journey. Some argue protag has to be female: i disagree
is about the protag's emotional journey. Some argue protag has to be female: i disagree."

1 comment: