Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The upside to having your email hacked

Okay, so first of all, let me apologize to anyone who was in my address book who got a strange, spammy email from my address. I've seen this happen to other people but this is the first time I've been hacked. So, in a way, that's kind of lucky. Is that Pollyanna enough for you?  No? Well, keep reading.

I've had the same email address since I was seventeen, so my address book is full of people I have lost touch with for one reason or another. So although my morning began with my boyfriend notifying me of the hack (followed quickly by my dad and brother), other emails began to pour in from across the country, people I haven't heard from in years.

I've spent the day touching base with people who were surprised but happy to hear from me. A professor from college, the copy editor for my first novel, the handyman who worked for me several houses ago. It's been a lovely trip down memory lane.

As much as the internet gets blamed for making us more isolated, sometimes it does the opposite. Hackers: bringing people together. Who knew?

So again, sorry for the spam and don't click the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment