Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Review: A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows is the fourth book in George R. R. Martin's series of novels that the HBO television series Game of Thrones is based on. Though this is not a genre I typically read, I was a huge fan of the last book, A Storm of Swords, which I reviewed here.

This installment was a bit slower. If it had been my first introduction to these characters, I might have been bored - but since I already love them, I was willing to follow them on long voyages across the sea, through the woods, and down icy mountainsides. If I had one complaint, it would be that there were so many Cersei chapters. While none of Martin's characters are wholly good or wholly bad, Cersei remains wholly unlikeable.

What I realized in this book is that Martin is a feminist. All his female characters are powerful women confronting a society that isn't ready for them to be leaders. The women are all challenging traditional gender roles- some are learning to swordfight like knights and others are trying to change the laws of inheritance so they can rule kingdoms on their own.

The next book, A Dance with Dragons, will be available in October. If you can't wait, it's already available on Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment